Wednesday, July 20, 2011

            Vicissitude.
            I don’t think I have ever written that word before. But if one is going to write about life, vicissitude is a great word to have at the ready. It means “A change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant” according to the Merriam Webster online dictionary. One moment everything is rosy and the next moment – Pow! Vicissitude.
            As I write this I have just gotten off the phone with one of our kids who is on the way to the hospital. Before I got the call my mind was occupied with writing this article, outlining my sermon and even wondering what was for supper. Now, Sandi and I are researching airline tickets and rental cars. Just in case.
            You’ve had the same experience I’m sure. You’ve come to work anticipating just another day only to find out the company is laying people off and soon you will be without a job. Or maybe the doctor’s office calls with results of a medical test. Regardless of the situation your life goes from same old, same old to never the same.
            Despite our need or awareness, God is always with us. Psalm 46: 1-3 teaches:
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult.”
When life hits us hard and there doesn’t seem to be a way, God is the way. When we seem alone, God has never left us. When no one understands, God hears our prayers.
            The old song begins “I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord.” Regardless of life’s ups and downs – vicissitudes – God’s grace never falters.
            Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment