Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I wrote this Feb. 27.

“You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.” (Dt 10: 19 NRSV)

I am the outsider, today.

It is Tax Day at the Church my wife Sandi serves, Christ United Methodist Church of the Deaf. Each year on Tax Day, volunteer tax preparers are teamed with American Sign Language Interpreters to do tax returns for the Deaf community. This is a marvelous outreach that continues to communicate that Christ Deaf Church shares the love of Christ with the Deaf community.

Today, Sandi is mentoring Sign Language interpreters and making sure things run smoothly. I could be at home puttering around the house but have chosen instead to come with Sandi. While she works, I am in the church basement reading and drinking coffee surrounded by about seventy five Deaf people. They are having a marvelous time chatting with friends while waiting for their turn to have their taxes done.

This morning, an interesting dynamic is at work. A dynamic I experience every time I am in Christ Deaf Church and I guess that explains why I am here rather than at home drinking coffee and reading. A work of the Holy Spirit, actually.

In nearly every other place, the Deaf community is marginalized. Being unable to fully communicate with mainstream community by speaking in English, the Deaf are often ignored. They are victims of “audism” which assumes the Deaf are unable to work, make personal choices, receive education or in other ways be full, contributing members of society.

So, you’d think that when the Deaf come together, they would practice the behaviors the dominate culture inflicts on them. You’d think that when the Deaf come together, they’d shun those who are not fluent in American Sign Language. Folks like me, that is. But I experience something different. At Christ Deaf Church I am warmly welcomed. People appreciate my few, halting attempts to communicate and encourage me to learn a bit more.

I am an outsider to the Deaf community but I am warmly welcomed in Christ’s name. I am here because this is one of the place I meet Christ.

Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment